Strawberry Ice Cream
(makes about a liter)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups strawberries
1. In a bowl, mix together the cream and milk. Add the sugar and pinch of salt and mix until the sugar starts to dissolve; stir in the vanilla. Let stand 15 minutes to blend the flavours. Cover and refrigerate for minimum 3 hours up to 8 hours.
2. Chop up the strawberries into little chunks. Take half and put in a small bowl, mashing it all up with a fork, then add the un-mashed berries to the bowl. Cover and put in the fridge for an hour.
3. Pour the milk mixture into the ice cream maker. When the ice cream looks like a thick whipped cream, add the strawberry mix.
4. Transfer to a container and freeze for a minimum 3 hours to harden, depending on your freezer.
1. I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker - a dream. Make sure to freeze your ice cream "tub" 24 hours before using.
2. The ice cream took about 15 minutes before I could add the strawberries.
3. The berries were hard and frozen...next time I'll mash them and strain them for the juice and add some freshly sliced into the bowl. Sore teeth! :)