(makes about 4 dozen)
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup maple syrup (or molasses)
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in maple syrup, egg and vanilla.
2. Add flour, spices, baking soda, and salt, and mix just until a dough forms.
3. Divide dough in half and cover each piece with plastic wrap. Press down to create two discs. Chill until firm, about 2-3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Roll out the dough to ?” inch thickness. If the dough softens quickly, freeze the full sheet of dough. Repeat with other disc. (Dough is very sticky!)
5. Cut out gingerbread shapes, and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
6. Bake until firm, about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheets.
7. Decorate with white icing and sprinkles as desired.