1 liter whole milk
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup yogurt
1. Heat milk slowly to 200F.
2. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar and vanilla.
3. Set pot in sink with lid on. Fill sink about halfway up the pot with cold water. Whisk often to bring temperature quickly down to 115F. Be careful to watch it, it goes fast!
4. Remove from the sink, ladle out about a half cup of the milk into a bowl and whisk in the yogurt.
5. Pour the yogurt starter back into the pot and whisk gently.
6. Transfer to Mason jars and incubate for 8 hours, then refrigerate. Good for about 7-10 days.
** my incubation method is to wrap the jars in tea towels and sit them on my heating pad on medium for 8 hours.